Monday, October 25, 2010

R&R

As I continue with the final stages of my masters, this weekend I think we stumbled across the most useful component of the program yet. I don't remember what the R&R in the course title is supposed to stand for, but reconnected and refreshed was how I was feeling after 5 hours of being glued to my computer. Seeing the familiar faces of members of my cohort in their respective countries, sharing struggles, supporting each other with ideas, empathy and solutions was much more refreshing and useful than I anticipated. It was so nice to talk to people with similar training, background and language about some of the heaviest issues we're lifting as new teachers. Hearing about the successes and challenges that everyone is facing, finding out how everyone is making it in a foreign country and learning a language while being a first year teacher was truly inspiring. I feel lucky to know a group of passionate, adventurous people who are having experiences parallel to my own around the world. After a bout of school-related stress dreams, it feels pretty nice to walk into my classroom on a Monday morning with a little inspiration in my pocket.

1 comment:

Cam McGregor said...

Mary, I couldn't agree more. I was super skeptical about the "R&R" thing and I was even more skeptical as we began with all the technical difficulties. Yet by the end I was pleasantly surprised! It was extremely helpful, great to see everyone's faces (...thanks Adam....) and very nice to hear we are all experiencing the same problems and having the same issues. Monday was a nice day, I agree! I do not, however, particularly like being the resident expert on Halloween. It's my favorite holiday and they're ruining it for me....ahhh Russia...